Convergence for Group Consensu

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Mar 6 14:18:07 PST 2008

On the subject of Door Prizes - my very favorite happened when I was an
early teenager. Thirteen to be exact, and for all you parents out there --
that is just the beginning of The Trouble!

I had a birthday party to celebrate my 13th and I thought a Door Prize
sounded cool. We didn't use that word, "cool," that way in those days long
ago, but you get the picture. You also need to know that I loved animals of
all varieties, and usually had a small collection, much to my mother's
dismay.

My pride and joy was Sniffy - a cute little Skunk**. You guessed it. Sniffy
was the Door Prize, all wrapped up in a cozy box. The winner turned out to
be a precocious young lady (you know the kind -- 13 going on 25 - Way
Cool!). She got the box and squealed with delight - a scream that went up
several octaves when she opened it to reveal. . . SNIFFY, in all of his
radiant glory! Actually it was just the usual black and white Skunk, as he
had been "de-odorized." But when he appeared nobody knew his true status
(except for my very best friends who were sworn to secrecy).

Well - That Door Prize cleared the house. Everybody, I mean
e-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y, - out the door.  Talk about building community. Loving
your neighbor, Caring for the down trodden. I have been trying to reform
ever since. But one thing for sure -- I, with the help of Sniffy, created a
lot of Open Space! But when it comes to convergence, I don't think I had the
proper instructions.

Harrison

** For those of you who do not live on the North American continent, and may
not be familiar with Skunks. . . They are very cute, very stupid, and VERY
SMELLY! One shot from that Skunk (they have a musk gland) will totally
destroy (not kill, but he wished he were dead) a very large dog. And that
dog, once sprayed is not allowed in the house for weeks. There is nothing
you can do. Washing just makes it worse.

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html