Convergence for Group Consensu

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue Mar 4 09:21:11 PST 2008

Kimberly:

Good question.  I've been working with consensus models for a while now both
in Open Space and with other methodologies and here is some of what I have
learned.  I think there are two uses o fthe word "consensus" in common
parlance, and I can see both used in this little thread.  One refers to what
seems to be common and te other is a more formal decision making process
that is inclusive and co-owned.  I'll speak a little of both.

I would say it also depends how big the group is.  For a smaller group of
people (even as large as 20 or 30) the simplest process I use is having
someone make a proposal to the centre, and having people show their
preferences on it.  Anyone indicating more clarity gets to ask a question
and the group takes the responsibility for helping people get what they
need.or getting clarity fromthe proposal.

For larger groups it's a lot more complicated. I think what is most
important is that everyone understand what consensus is needed and why.  In
fact I think most of the times in large groups (bigger than 30) consensus is
in fact a drawback.   It inhibits the diversity and complexity that keeps
the system open, living and creative.  It is only really practical on issues
of the highest order (does everyone agree that we are a part of this XXX
organization?) and that kind of consensus gives a flase impression of
alignment.

One the other hand, if you are looking for trends or large scale general
shifts and patterns arising from an Open Space event any number of polling
data will help to identify those things, incuding what Harrison and Jack
have posted.  In my experience the more you can turn that responsibility
over to the group the more it is co-owned and reflective of the group's real
intention.

As you design the event though, have these questions very much in mind at
the outset.  For me it is critical to notice up front that in planning any
kind of meeting I am actually planning a harvest of the meeting.   What is
the point in planting seeds if you don't know what the harvest will be used
for?  This upfornt clarity should help you to choose a decision making
method should it be important to have a decision that is alos a consensus.

I'd be interested in learning about what methods others use for consensus
decision making in or following Open Space.

Chris

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 5:50 AM, Jack Ricchiuto <jack at designinglife.com>
wrote:

> First, thanks to Harrison for your legacy of profound inspiration.
>
> As for building consensus, two things have been important for me. On Day 1
> asking people in groups to keep track and record all and any areas of
> agreement: Wrap up conversations with the question about what there is
> alignment on. This allows a natural flowing, then people can report on these
> the next day to build energy for consensus. The second thing is making sure
> people feel free to voice difference, disagreement, and dissent, saying that
> agreement is not a requirement to belong, but transparency that builds trust
> is essential to belong. For anyone who has dissent, we ask them to speak
> about what matters to them and who else aligns with that. This way,
> authentic consensus and participation becomes possible. Best of all, in a
> self-organizing system, many things can move forward nicely without
> everyone's agreement. In fact, the need for complete agreement on anything
> can be a conversation of postponement.
>
> Best to you Kim!
>
> Jack
>

> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Kimberley Willing <
> Kim.Willing at tassie.net.au> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any experience or advice in 'converging' open space, in
> > such a way that the emerging consensus of the whole group is identified?
> > Specifically, I have a 2 day event coming up - the purpose of which is
> > develop a best practice framework for reporting on the topic, and at
> > least
> > to develop a check list of issues to be addressed in preparing such a
> > reporting framework.
> >
> > Day 1 could be spent diverging (in Open Space) and I am wondering how
> > best
> > to converge on Day 2, given that one outcome mine host would like to
> > see,
> > is an articulation of the level of agreement of the whole group on
> > certain
> > matters.
> >
> > With thanks,
> >
> > Kim.
> >
> > *
> > *
> >
> > To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs:
> > http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist
> >

> --
> Jack Ricchiuto
> www.DesigningLife.com / 216.373.7475 (EST)
>
> Announcing "Conscious Becoming", now available in paperback - visit
> ConsciousBecoming.com * *

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training - Process Design
Open Space Technology

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com

Principal, Harvest Moon Consultants, Ltd.
http://www.harvestmoonconsultants.com