Where does OS end, where does OD start?

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Sun Mar 2 02:32:03 PST 2008

Dear Catherine,

Thanks for a very interesting question - I would also place my bet on
your having asked some good questions,
and the best way to find out why the project manager reacted this way
is to ask - you probably crossed a
boundary, but I'd expect it is not the OS-OD one.

Thinking about your question, I found I am unable to define boundaries
between OD and OS.
In the OD community I guess OS is seen by most as one of the methods to
work with large groups;
a tool in your tool-kit as an OD-practitioner.

Having started as an OD-practitioner there is quite a lot which has
changed in my work also when
not using OS, which may have significance to the question. Some of
these are:

- I tend to think of/select methods where clients can solve problems
themselves;
- when I sense that important knowledge or skills are missing, instead
of trying to provide these
   myself or using collegues, I suggest to invite others in the larger
system which could do this;
- in general I am more focused on what the client system would be able
to do than what I can do.

In case of using OS, there are usually all kind of follow up
opportunities where an OD practitioner
can do useful things. I have become rather more careful "helping"
beyond a follow-up discussion.

But exactly the situation you are referring to, asking questions (in
the preparation or) in a follow-up session
I actually feel I use all my OD-skills.

If I had to guess, I'd say the difference is there where you move into
OD without respecting the Law and the principles.
And I guess one's intuition (like in both OD and OS) is the best guide.

PS	Beautiful products you are making

Greetings from the stormy North,

Gerard Muller

Open Space Institute
Phone: (+45) 21269621					Skype: openspace1
Mail: gm at openspace.dk