Convergence for Group Consensus: Here: Action Planning, somewhat lengthy

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Sun Mar 9 16:06:50 PDT 2008

Dear Marty,
the latest stage in the development of my practice regarding going from
the "divergent" mode
into action planning in a regular (3 day, sleep twice, 16 hours event
which almost always means Day 1 is half a day, Day2 is a full day and
Day 3 is half a day)open space event especially in the light of
sponsors/clients moving away from paper documents to electronic pdf
style documents:
-Day 1 with usually three beginning times for break out sessions
-Day 2 with usually four beginning times for break out sessions
-Divergent phase on Day 2 followed by gathering in a circle with an
introduction into what I call "reading and augmentation phase" where
participants can read all the reports posted on pinboards placed around
the large main room with an "augmentation sheet" right next to each of
the reports to record further ideas, augmentations, questions, etc....so
that in the final book of proceedings you can have "augmentation sheets"
follow many or even all reports (report 3 is followed by augmentation
3A, etc.).
-Evening News at the end of Day 2
-Day 3 begins with morning announcements with either no "reading of the
books of proceedings" or, in case a paper documentation was prepared
during the night, having a quick look at the book (reading and
augmentation having already happened the evening before and now clearly
a thing of the past with the focus shifting on action)
-Outlook (before projects are looked at) under the question "What does
all that we did in the last two days mean to me, my work, my
organisatioin...?" (7 minutes individually, 13 minutes in consultation duos)
-Call for projects that are posted around the room on the pinwalls
-Planning and agreeing on the concrete next step for each project
-Recording the next steps on A4 sheets (this will be done in one
session, or, when there are more than 7 projects, in 2 rounds, when
there are more than 15 in three rounds of 20 minutes each)(in case there
are 21 issues, 14 are not shown in the first round so that participants
can focus on the first 7 projects, then on the second set, etc.)
-Walk around when the next steps have been posted for all projects so
that everybody has a chance to add her or his name to a project, etc.
-Gathering in the circle for last this and that
-Closing Circle

During Closing Circle the support team copies the "Next Step" sheets
once so that the "conveners" of the projects get a copy of their sheet
and the original can be used to prepare copies for everyone else to be
sent either in the mail or incorporated into the electronic book of
proceedings.(If there are fast copiers on the premises often a set of
all next step sheets can be produced for everyone to pick up as they
leave after closing circle, even if there are 200 participants...)

Here some links to the various things I have mentioned:
-3 day event with action planning on Day 3 with three planning rounds in
German
> http://www.boscop.org/page/show/102
-2 day event with reading the proceedings and action planning including
two planning rounds on second day
> http://www.boscop.org/page/show/97
-report form in English
> http://www.boscop.org/page/show/60
-augmentation form in English
> http://www.boscop.org/page/show/61
next step form in English
> http://www.boscop.org/page/show/62

All the forms are available for downloads in MS Word so one can adapt
them to the needs of other events.
Eventually, we will also have english language designs in our website
(russian is already available,showing a 2 day event with action planinng
on the second day including reading the book of proceedings and one
round of planning, look here
> http://www.boscop.org/page/show/100

Here is also the Action Planning Design we used in the training in Pakistan:

9:30 am	Break
10:00 am	Morning News
10:15 am	Reading the Documentation
10:45 am	Outlook
			What does the experience of yesterday mean for my work, my
organization, my life….
			Individually 7’
			In pairs 13’

11:30 am	Action Planning
			Collecting Projects on A3 sheets 	15’
			Planning in Project Groups		30’
			Recording the Next Step on an A4 form 	  5’
			Reporting the Next Step in Plenary	10’

12:45		Closing Circle

Greetings from Berlin
mmp

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49-30-772 8000
mmpanne at boscop.org
www.boscop.org

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 478 resident Open
Space Workers in 76 countries working in a total of 132 countries worldwide
Have a look:
www.openspaceworldmap.org

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 17:44:41 -0700
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
From: Lisa Heft <lisaheft at openingspace.net>
Subject: OS with and for elderly, mental health consumers and others [long]

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01C8820D.44446D60

Hello, dear colleagues -

=20

I have a client who is interested in hearing about the use of OS with =
and
for:

=20

Elderly persons

Mental health consumers

People with different physical abilities and disabilities

Intergenerational work

..in conferences or in community, business or organizational meetings.

=20

We are planning something together and he wishes a few stories in hand =
so he
can explain this to people who don't 'get it' like he does.  He TOTally =
gets
it and is excited for what we are about to do.  A bit of support on how =
OS
has been used in somewhat similar circumstances to his will be a great =
help
as he approaches his planning committee.

=20

Thanks to everyone for sending a few words about OS events you have been
part of with participants such as this - feel free to send to me =
directly or
post on the list.

Below are stories I have already collected.  John, were you able to do =
that
OS you mention below?  And Michael P, I looked on
http://www.openspaceworldscape.org <http://www.openspaceworldscape.org/> =
  -
but the one listing I saw is an event you did, written up in German.  =
Alas,
I do not speak German. If you can share a few words about it that would =
be
great.  Perhaps some of you who have done similar work in Canada can =
also
share some of your stories, as Larry mentions below.

Thanks, everyone - here are more stories below...

=20

=20

Kerry Napuk, Scotland

=20

We facilitated an event with 102 mental health users from all parts of
Scotland.  In two rounds of issues and actions on finding a collective =
voice
during day one, they convened 30 sessions with 90 actions.  On day two =
on
making their voice heard, service users created 14 project teams, =
including
plans to form a new national organisation.  The opening circle was =
pulsating
with energy and set the scene for a very memorable event. There were =
many
stories of personal courage, participants who came to Dundee having not =
left
their houses in more than two years and not having been away overnight =
or on
a train alone for more years than they could recall. Even though
participants were all users of mental health services and were coping =
with
various medical illnesses, they stuck into the work with great gusto and
humour.  It was a magnificent conference of individual learning and =
sharing,
as well as collective consciousness.

=20

Larry Peterson, Canada

=20

A number of us in Canada have facilitated OS events with =
"consumer/survivors
of the mental health system" - the term they have chosen here.  A =
variety of
very successful events over the past years sometimes with folks with =
some
difficult physical issues as well.  It is delightful experience such =
events.

=20

John, USA and Haiti

=20

I'm talking with leadership at an elderly care community. The president
really believes in the power of dialogue. They have about 1,500 people =
in
their community which include several hundred staff and care-givers and
nearly 1,000 elderly persons. Some of the elderly own their homes which =
are
part of the community and do not need daily care. Others live in a =
special
place where they have constant care. Leadership's challenge is to foster =
cultural change in their community from one of medical care to one of
overall social care. They want to engage everyone in conversations about
this and are considering organizing one or a couple of day-long open =
space
events during this summer.

=20

Harrison Owen, USA

=20

Never did anything with elder care communities -- but something pretty
close. About 8 years ago, the Northwest Regional Advisor Council for the
AARP (American Association of Retired People) decided they needed to =
focus
their mission, purpose, and program. Open Space was the chosen vehicle. =
The
council consisted of some 150 people with an average age of 70+ =
(actually
more on the plus side.) Space opened, and everything happened as usual, =
but
I was a little worried about the reports. We were using computers, and =
for
many of the people involved, a computer was a new and different thing. =
Most
could type, but a computer....???? Anyhow the reports started to come =
in,
and I passed by the Newsroom. There a wonderful lady, obviously in her =
early
80s, confronted the machine, surrounded by mounds of flip chart paper. =
Not
only was this her first time out, but she happened to have posted *THE*
issue, and many people had lots to say. I wondered, and passed on my =
way.
Sometime later I came back just to check. She was obviously making =
progress,
but in a way that pained me. Using a large magnifying glass to see the
screen, she punched in her report, one finger at a time.

=20

I watched for a moment, and then did what I never would do ordinarily. I
came up to her and offered to help. She didn't quite hear me at first, =
but
when she did -- her response was surprising. She turned on me like a =
mother
guarding her children and said, "No young man. I will type my own =
report!" I
tipped my hat and went on my way. ...=20

=20

__________

=20

Thanks, all,

=20

Lisa

___________________________

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator

O p e n i n g  S p a c e

 <mailto:lisaheft at openingspace.net> lisaheft at openingspace.net

 <http://www.openingspace.net> www.openingspace.net=20

=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01C8820D.44446D60

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">

<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:Batang;
	panose-1:2 3 6 0 0 1 1 1 1 1;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Trebuchet MS";
	panose-1:2 11 6 3 2 2 2 2 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"\@Batang";
	panose-1:2 3 6 0 0 1 1 1 1 1;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{font-family:"Trebuchet MS";
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'>Hello, dear colleagues =

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'>I have a client who is interested in =
hearing

style=3D'font-size:

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'>Elderly =

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'>Mental health =

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'>People with =
different

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'>Intergenerational =

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'>..in conferences =
or in

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'>We are planning something together =
and he
wishes a few stories in hand so he can explain this to people who =
don’t ‘get
it’ like he does.  He TOTally gets it and is excited for what =
we are
about to do.  A bit of support on how OS has been used in somewhat =
similar
circumstances to his will be a great help as he approaches his planning

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'>Thanks to everyone for sending a few =
words
about OS events you have been part of with participants such as this =
–

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'><br>
Below are stories I have already collected.  John, were you able to =
do
that OS you mention below?  And Michael P, I looked on <a
href=3D"http://www.openspaceworldscape.org/">http://www.openspaceworldsca=
pe.org</a>
 – but the one listing I saw is an event you did, written up =
in
German.  Alas, I do not speak German. If you can share a few words =
about
it that would be great.  Perhaps some of you who have done similar =
work in
Canada can also share some of your stories, as Larry mentions =

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'><br>
Thanks, everyone – here are more stories =

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS";

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet =

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'>We facilitated an =
[...]

10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS";font-style:italic'>Larry Peterson, =

style=3D'font-size:

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'>A number of us in =
  size=3D2 face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet =
MS"'>Canada</span></font><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'>
have facilitated OS events with "consumer/survivors of the mental =
health
system" - the term they have chosen here.  A variety of very
successful events over the past years sometimes with folks with some =
difficult
physical issues as well.  It is delightful experience such =

style=3D'font-size:

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS";

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet =

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'>I’m talking =
with
leadership at an elderly care community. The president really believes =
in the
power of dialogue. They have about 1,500 people in their community which
include several hundred staff and care-givers and nearly 1,000 elderly =
persons.
Some of the elderly own their homes which are part of the community and =
do not
need daily care. Others live in a special place where they have constant =
care. Leadership’s
challenge is to foster a cultural change in their community from one of =
medical
care to one of overall social care. They want to engage everyone in =
conversations
about this and are considering organizing one or a couple of day-long =
open

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet =

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS";

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet =

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'>Never did anything =
[...]

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'>I watched for a =
moment, and
then did what I never would do ordinarily. I came up to her and offered =
help. She didn't quite hear me at first, but when she did -- her =
response was
surprising. She turned on me like a mother guarding her children and =
said,
"No young man. I will type my own report!" I tipped my hat and =
went

face=3D"Trebuchet MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet =

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet =

MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet =
MS";color:blue;font-weight:bold'>L

MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet =
MS";color:blue'>Consultant,

MS"><span
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS";color:blue'>O p e n =
i n

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS"'><a =
href=3D"mailto:lisaheft at openingspace.net"><font