Convergence for Group Consensus

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Mar 6 15:28:42 PST 2008

Marty said: Here are my two questions:

a)  In the Users Manual, you say that "with a sizable group (fifty and
larger), electronic tallying is infinitely preferred."  But in this email,
you say that "with small groups (<100) Sticky dots do the job."

b)  In the Users Manual, you recommend the use of 55 sticky dots per person,
but in your email, you recommend just 5.  In the quest for simplicity, it
seems you have removed about 5 per year!

My Answer --

Consistency was never one of my virtues. And when it comes to closure
(consensus or otherwise) I recommend Sniffy. Works every time, but you may
not be asked back! But I never was a real fan of consensus. Moving the
business seemed more important.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html

I checked the Users Manual (always next to my desk) on convergence, as you
suggested.

Forgive me for quoting you back to you, but there are a couple of
differences between what you said in the Manual and what you've written
below, and I'm really interested in understanding how your thinking/practice
has evolved in the last ten years.  (I'm also planning a couple of 3-day
events where formal convergence and voting is very important to the
clients.)

Here are my two questions:

a)  In the Users Manual, you say that "with a sizable group (fifty and
larger), electronic tallying is infinitely preferred."  But in this email,
you say that "with small groups (<100) Sticky dots do the job."

b)  In the Users Manual, you recommend the use of 55 sticky dots per person,
but in your email, you recommend just 5.  In the quest for simplicity, it
seems you have removed about 5 per year!

:)

Many thanks,

Marty