OST with indigenous groups

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Wed Jun 4 13:18:37 PDT 2008

As a long time practitioner of OS in indigenous communities in Canada, the
US and New Zealand, I echo Harrison's comment and your friends comments,
Mel.  I am often showered with comments like that especially from Elders who
resonate deeply with what happens in Open Space.

Now I've been thinking a little about why this is over the years and I have
this thought to share.  When I say "indigenous" I am talking, like you,
about indigenous populations in lands that have been colonized usually by
Europeans.  (Of course Europeans in their own countries are indigenous, and
there is something to be said about working with Euro-centric worldviews IN
Europe...but that is another conversation...).  Generally the colonial
experience has the effect in indigenous communities of devaluing traditional
ways of knowing.  In most indigenous cultures of North America these
traditional ways of knowing are based in highly relational contexts.  Most
indigenous languages on this continent are verb based, as opposed to noun
based European languages, and therefore things in tyhe world only make sense
if described in relation to other things.  This is important, because Open
Space works only if there is a field of relationships active.  If we remain
stuck in our own little independent and isolated silos, Open Space misses
the mark.  Only by inviting others into relationship does Open Space come
alive, and that is a deeply indigensou practice.

Of course with any Open Space meeting, the invitation is the key.  If the
participants are there, and the conditions are right and the invitation is
magic, then the magic appears as it does everywhere.  What seems to be
different in indigenous communities is this deep familiarity of this way of
working in relation to an ever changing context.  There is an emergent
wholeness within which people can act along with others.  Where there is
still resonance in traditional communities this becomes a powerful
experience.

Of course those of us who are indigenous have experienced various degress of
colonization, and there are certainly some people for whom Open Space is a
downright scary experience, so let us not generalize that "all Indians are
at home in Open Space."  Having said that though, I frequently use the
expression "practical decolonization" to describe the process and the effect
it has on people and communities who leap into the fray.

Lots more reflections on Open Space and lessons from indigensou North
America and beyond at my weblog's learning archives, here:

http://chriscorrigan.com/parkinglot/?page_id=1382

Cheers,

Chris

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Harrison Owen <hhowen at verizon.net> wrote:

>  Mel – The fellow you quoted at the end has it right, and I wouldn't
> expect too much change in the role of tribal elders. They have been doing
> that a long time, and always in the way of Open Space, by whatever name. I
> am reminded of a Navajo chief who came up to me at the end of an Open Space.
> He took my hand, smiled and said, "What took you so long white man? Join the
> club.
>

> Harrison

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training - Process Design
Open Space Technology

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com

Principal, Harvest Moon Consultants, Ltd.
http://www.harvestmoonconsultants.com