Advice for an OS for learning & sharing for software developers

Harold Shinsato harold at SHINSATO.COM
Mon Jan 14 10:20:25 PST 2008

Dear Owen,

Thank you, it's such an honor to get a reply directly from you.  I think my
issue is faith in myself and in the process.  I've read the book (some
chapters more than once).  I think maybe I just needed to hear it again in a
different way to help me "get" it.  I appreciate the encouragement.  I've
seen Open Space work in other scenarios and I just need to trust that people
will bring the topics that they care about.  But I keep thinking I have to
"do" something to make it work, to allow people to bring questions or topics
like "How can we lead in a 50K Conglomerate?" and not just some engineering
topic that they had to spend a week preparing a powerpoint based on their
prior experience, which is the "box".

It's like an ugly itch in the brain, but is there some way to help me quiet
it down?  I keep seeing this image of me opening the space and then no one
filling in any topic cards, or just a few that didn't get put in the first
tracks.  Has anyone had experience in a similar situation for 30-50
engineers in a single department but working on different projects?

     Harold