Advice for an OS for learning & sharing for software developers

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Mon Jan 14 09:52:59 PST 2008

Harold -- Welcome!

Invitation: Short, sweet, and open. For a theme -- maybe something like
"Issues and Opportunities for Building Our Business." Presuming they (your
engineers) care about the business, that should get them started.

Don't try and explain Open Space. Folks wouldn't believe you anyhow. But you
can make some definite promises. 1)Every issue they care about will be on
the agenda. 2)Every issue will be discussed. 3) All will be reported. Those
are "keepable" promises.

No need to prepare anybody -- and in fact it will be counterproductive.
Suggesting issues in advance may make people think that they SHOULD talk
about those issues, when what they need to do is to talk about issues they
care about.

If this is your first Open Space I suggest that you do nothing but
facilitate. Admittedly there is not much to do, but there is a lot to learn,
and if you are busy posting/hosting issues you could miss a big bunch.

And by the way -- Everything I have said (and a whole lot more) is "in the
book." (Open Space Technology: A User's Guide -- Berrett-Koehler). You will
probably find it helpful to get a copy (Amazon will do it)

Have fun!

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html