Open Space with Construction Engineers

Brendan McKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Fri Jan 25 00:05:32 PST 2008

I have been provided with a challenge....

A colleague (an organisational psych and consultant) has introduced
me to a Construction Alliance - a group of construction companies
that have joined together to build a major 200klm long highway in
Western Australia. They have been 'working' together (physically) for
about a year and have become stuck around 'communication' -
especially between the project managers, site engineers, supervisors
working at the ground level. The professional HR company they hired
to guide them through the human dynamics dimensions of their
collaboration has not been very well received by the people - they
have provided 'facilitated interventions' that seem to have added to
the difficulties. My colleague suggested they try Open Space and
arranged the conversation yesterday with two senior managers in the
Alliance - at which they expressed that they needed a process that
would allow people to feel trusted and respected, not be treated like
children at school, and to be able to raise and deal with the issues
that were causing them problems - mainly lack of communication.
It was obvious (to me and my colleague) that they needed some Open
Space - and after explaining what it is and how it works - they
agreed that this would be wonderful....except - that they didn't
think it work with engineers and construction workers....AND - they
would have trouble 'selling' it to the Alliance Director.
Funny how the managers clearly identified that what these folks
wanted was trust and respect for their views - and this was what they
wanted too - and then baulked at the methodology that would deliver this...!

So, I have had a call today from my consultant colleague who reports
that they have said:

a) their boss might go along with it if they could assure him that
there would be a Plan B in place - if it falls apart then the Org
Psych would step in and rescue
(to which I will say something like---mmmm, that wouldn't really work for me!)

b) are there any case stories of Construction Companies using this
method - and it worked?
(I chuckle - inwardly- when folks think that being in construction -
or whatever- somehow means that they are distinct from the rest of
the human species! reminds of Michael Herman's story 'can Catholics do this?')

My request
I can relate Harrison's story about AT&T Olympic Village at Atlanta -
which is primarily a design team - are there any others involving
Construction Engineers that spring to mind?

With thanks
Brendan
from a very hot Western Australia