Living Peace- an invitation (reminder)

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Wed Feb 6 01:34:14 PST 2008

Thanks Raffi for the extension,

  I was able to jot down a few ideas yesterday on the train from France to Swityerland ...doing 3 OS trainnings.

  Diane

Raffi Aftandelian <raffi at BK.RU> wrote:
  Dear friends and colleagues,

Two months ago I posted an invitation to the OSlist regarding an e-book
project, Living Peace: the open space of our lives, an opportunity for all
of us who work with OST to share how we live in Open Space.

I am posting the invitation to participate in this initiative below as a
reminder.

OST facilitators from Russia, Turkey, Israel, Germany, Switzerland, US, and
Canada, to name a few countries, have said they will contribute. And some
pieces have already come in. And I am absolutely delighted that OS'ers both
new to the practice and those who were around from the very beginning (the
Big Bang of 1985?) have contributed or intend to contribute.

I am extending the deadline to March 1st.

To give a feeling for the style in which this book will be illustrated, you
might want to visit

http://picasaweb.google.ru/dyomka/AtYkNH?authkey=h0K3uQIse9U

Vera "Dyomka" Vakulenko, a Moscow friend of Open Space will be doing the
illustrating.

enjoying the recent threads,
warmly,
raffi

"I don't mind dying. It's just that I don't want to be around when it happens."
--Woody Allen

"I don't mind living. It's just that I don't want to be around when it happens."
--overheard from a butterfly conversation between Op N. Heart and Woolly Adden

Living Peace: the open space of our lives
An invitation

November 18,2007

We are writing you to invite your contribution for an e-book, tentatively
entitled Living Peace: the open space of our lives. OST facilitators from
around the world, experienced and people new to the practice, are being
contacted for this project.

Harrison’s last book was The Practice of Peace. It was a thoughtful,
playful, compelling, and engaging invitation to consider that the everyday
practice of Open Space in organizations is the practice of peace. If that is
so, then perhaps, taken together, those who work with OST have something to
offer the world about living peace on a day-to-day basis?

There have been many conversations about the personal practice of open
space, but to our knowledge this has not been captured as a book. Chris
Corrigan and Michael Herman have elaborated an invaluable perspective on
that practice. And I credit them, Wendy Farmer-O’Neil, Birgitt Williams, and
Harrison Owen as inspiration for this book.

This book aims to deepen the conversation about the personal practice of
Open Space.

For the book, we’d like to invite you to answer one question:

“What is your practice of Open Space?”

This is an inquiry into how each of us bring open space into our lives, how
we live Open Space.

In addition, you are invited to submit resources for a resource section at
end of the book on practicing Open Space in life. We welcome any materials
you see as valuable in deepening the personal practice of Open Space.

A maximum length of two pages for each contribution is suggested, and this
is more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule.

We’d like to ensure a broad representation of voices in the book, both in
terms of perspective, experience, and geography. This invitation will also
be posted to English-language OSlist and other OSlists around the world.

If you have any particular suggestions of people who should be contacted to
participate in this initiative, let me know!

If you think you will be able to make a contribution, please email Raffi at
raffi at bk.ru (or raffi_1970 at yahoo.com). We’d like to receive submissions by
February 1, 2008.

Your piece can be anything that can be presented on a printed page, a story,
an essay, a parable, a word, a sentence, a picture, a diagram, anything that
can convey on paper what you understand your practice of Open Space to be.

If you’d prefer to share your practice of peace in a telephone conversation
that can be later transcribed into text, we’d be more than happy to do so.

The book will be made available for free online. Perhaps at a later point,
it might be available for sale in print form, in which case a significant
(50% at least) of proceedings will go to support the spread of OST around
the world.

Vera “Dyomka” Vakulenko, a Moscow artist and community activist who designed
the Open Space on Open Space XIV logo and brought much spirit to that
conference will be illustrating this book.

We intend to publish the book in both English and Russian. If you can
circulate this invitation in other languages, it’d much be appreciated.

Your thoughts, questions suggestions and collaboration in this project are
welcome!

If you can submit something for this book, please let us know by email!

Respectfully and in appreciation,
Raffi Aftandelian
Vera “Dyomka” Vakulenko