advice on os for 600 (Lisa)

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Fri Dec 12 04:25:31 PST 2008

Hi, Marty -

Yes, I think from above it would look like the pie
you describe, allowing for a nice wide aisle for the 4 directions of main
aisles and as much room as you are able to put between the circles, to
allow for traffic/flow/sound issues.

I do circles of 15 chairs.
People sit anywhere to start. Then when they jump into the first session,
they just go to the circle where the topic that draws their interest is.

No adjustment of the circles of chairs is needed, from open,
through sessions, through close, except for (as I might do in any size
room or group) some helpers (because this is a bigger room helpers are
useful) neatening the circles of chairs and the materials/tools inside the
circles between sessions or whenever they pass something by that could use
a little neatening. The reason for this is both to have some clear access
to tools / a neat work space and clear understanding of locations and also
because a neater room throughout the day in such a large group helps for
any safety or emergency issues.

Lisa

(Marty
wrote:)
> Hi Lisa

> Thanks so much for this
detailed explanation of your very creative spatial arrangement.

> If I understand you correctly, you are talking about lots of
small circles
> (about 12 chairs in each) in which people sit
randomly at the beginning.
> If we looked at this arrangement
from above, it would be like a pie cut into
> four pieces, and
each of these pieces was filled with these circles.
> These
circles then also become the breakout spaces (presumably with quite a
bit