books about being human?

Holly Masturzo hlmast at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 12:33:11 PDT 2008

Karen,
I truly believe that if you bring this question - a great question - with
full intention to any book it will illuminate a unique layer of our human
story and it becomes fascinating to sense this great web of perspective and
experience connect itself.  I find myself wanting to say that intention
in our practice of reading is potentially more transformative than a
specific text itself.

The language of your question does remind me of one of my favorite poets,
Joy Harjo, and her collected poems, published under the title *How We Became
Human.*
http://www.wwnorton.com/catalog/fall03/032534.htm

And certainly I have found very grounding and worth many re-readings
Margaret Wheatley's *Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to
Restoring Hope to the Future.*
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1576751457/ref=ase_margaretwheat-20/103-9449060-2277410?v=glance&s=books
**
I hear these two women's voices in my head, and feel them in my heart and
body, at many moments when I need steadying or long to connect to our larger
story.  My students, across backgrounds, seem to appreciate and connect to
them as well.
**
Happy reading,
Holly