WOSonOS -and- future years and locations [long]

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Mon Aug 25 02:10:11 PDT 2008

thanks for opening this conversation, lisa.

to me, the most important thing about osonos is that it is our chance to
practice what we preach, open to and in the world.  in recent years, it
seems to me that we have strayed from our core practice in two important
ways:  scarcity and design.  perhaps these are two sides of the same coin.

over the last some years, we've come to take a year to plan something that
is supposed to be about not planning and designing in advance.  we've
convinced ourselves that we must have only one "world" osonos.  we make a
big deal out of that *one* but tend, at the same time, to ignore the 7 or 8
years running that haiti has hosted an osonos and a raft of stammiches, for
instance.

i do not understand how the os community imposing the structure of a single
'world' osonos per year, with all the queueing and jockeying that goes on
around the eye of that needle, is any different from leaders we work with
(or don't get to work with) holding tight to the notion that there can be
only one speaker at a time, one powerpoint presenter per hour of annual
meeting, one round after another in a big group, with regular breaks to
recover and adjust the setup for the next speaker.

what would a truly open space approach to osonos look like?

i think it would be a bulletin board, where anyone could announce a
gathering, an osonos, where the theme would be "open space".  i'll refrain
from making the plan and theme even as complicated as "the practice of open
space".  like any breakout session, the host would choose a time and a
place.  when folks arrived in their corner of the world, they would step
into the circle of few or many friends and colleagues.  they would tell
something of their story, how they came to post this invitation.  and they
would invite everyone present to say something of why they'd come.  these
everyone sayings would, of course, begin as topics announced and posted.  in
some years we might have many osonos events, some years few, but in no years
would we have a single, most important, "world" osonos.  they would all be
important.  encouraged.  announced.  documented.  photographed.  access
queened.  connected.  simultaneous.  messy.  local.  global.  open.  spaces.

there would be no concern for who would go to india or australia or camden
or whatever.  the right people would find their way.  and when people needed
help getting to some osonos far away, they could ask for it.  you and anyone
else could help run the side bulletin board that was its own little open
space on getting to an open space on open space.  how does a two-year lead
time fit with whenever it starts and whoever comes is right?

yes, i might not see you and peggy and brian and michael and larry and chris
at *the* world open space.  the usual suspects would not be able to support,
encourage, or whatever the "growth of open space" in one particular
region.   we couldn't talk about "bringing open space" to this "underserved"
place or another, as we sometime have in the past.  but as far as i can
tell, just about the whole world is underserved.  we could all be going to
many places, trusting that we are all in the same place, with many breakouts
scattered world around.  and all the side conversations could be about
"which one are you going to?" instead of "which one is ready or right or
will be supported and held up as *the one* that everyone should go to this
year, the only one that will be called 'world'.

and then maybe the world os conference call would be opened to anyone who
was in the moment of making a whole world invitation to gather in their
corner of earth, to talk about open space.  why should there be only two
people allowed from each country or each "institute" on such calls.  would
we ever suggest such a system in one of the events we facilitate?

i'll be very interested to hear what others are thinking on this.  perhaps
i'm too much the purist, or not much of a planner, but my favorite osonos
gatherings have been the really really simple ones, mostly before we started
lining up and and taking turns.  what we be lost if we made more space for
more open spaces on open space each year?  what would an open space on
osonos look like?  how would it function on an ongoing, worldwide, anyone
can come, anyone can host, no planning required basis?  that's what i'm
really wondering now.

i'll go back to my painting and carpentry now, but will be listening in
between, looking forward to what the rest of everybody else might have to
say.

thanks, again, lisa.

michael

Michael Herman