How many break-out spaces

Neils Christiansen nchristn at sunwave.net
Thu Aug 21 09:57:07 PDT 2008

Hi All,

It seems to me the clustering of cards Harrison refers to was done by
the "ICA style" facilitator. If that is so, the process was not ICA's
Participation Technology. In the ICA process, the participants do the
clustering: 1) A participant suggests a possible pairing or the addition
of a card to an existing cluster and states the relationship between the
cards that underlies his or her suggestion. 2) Any other participant may
indicate that the suggested pairing or addition to an existing cluster
does not work for them, in which case the suggestion is dropped. 3) If
the suggestion makes sense to the other participants, that is, there are
no objections, then and only then does the facilitator move the cards
into a pair or add to an existing cluster. As the clustering progresses
and the group's sense of the underlying structure firms up, participants
often modify the clusters; it is the group sense of relationships that
counts.

I have seen times where the facilitator "suggests" a pairing or addition
when the relationship seems obvious (exact duplicate cards are an
example). However, if the facilitator uses his or her sense of which
cards go together, it is not the ICA process precisely because it is not
participatory, but hierarchal.

An OS "marketplace" follows exactly the same principles. However, in
place of a facilitator standing in front of a group of seated
participants and following their directions about clustering (perhaps
with clarifying questions), the OS participants carry out the process on
their feet by choosing "cards" they wish to pursue including the
possibility of combining "cards" into clusters of people with similar
interests.

The clustering process in both cases arrives at a consensus. I found
both Bui's and Harrison's descriptions of consensus very helpful. Bui's
quoted definition is an attempt to describe, in detail, the conditions
that foster consensus. It is the sort of description a novice
"facilitator of consensus" might study at length while pondering about
how to foster those conditions in practice. Harrison's description
forgoes all that detail in favour of an intuitive sense of "what seems
right". It is the statement of a seasoned practitioner. However, I
suspect behind Harrison's sense of what seems right lies a strong belief
in the value of trust, respect, etc. If it were not so, the OS he
"discovered" might have looked more like an operation manual for Dackow
rather than the participatory process that has inspired so many.

Neils Christiansen