How many break-out spaces

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Thu Aug 21 06:57:41 PDT 2008

Shikha, Ashley and HO:

I usually assume 7 per 100,  except in lower numbered events.  Even with
10-15 folks, I go with a minimum of 3 breakouts.  I also plan for the same
number of computers as breakouts.  It depends in part on clients and my
assumptions about the possible emergent leadership in the group.  At the
wall, sometimes all of the post-its are taken at first and then some are put
back on the "grid" as the group self-organizes and combines some topics for
discussion.  I often put up extra meeting spaces and cover them with paper
until its clear that they are needed.  This encourages topics to be spread
through the time frame of the event.    I'm always prepared for more
discussion groups that my best guess.  Encouraging emergent leadership
around the theme, to me, is important, without setting up to many
expectations.  The space/time slots for meetings are there or they get
created on the spot as needed.

Larry

Larry Peterson & Associates in Transformation

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

 <mailto:larry at spiritedorg.com> mailto:larry at spiritedorg.com   416.651.6913
http//:www.spiritedorg.com