need OS event on east coast (usa)

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Wed Aug 6 10:06:26 PDT 2008

hello james,

this is true, about the mechanisms that are there to allow him to attend and
*look* like a particpant, to blend in, from a high-level, macro
perspective.  and... but... and... the main requirement for participants is
not that they can float and such, but that they *care*.

when he butterflies around, he's likely to find others floating, and likely
to have some conversation with them -- at which point he's either got to
'fess up that he doesn't share a passion for the purpose of the gathering,
or he's got to fake that too.  that micro level faking is a lot harder that
just looking like a butterfly floating around.

i'd not recommend ever having observers like a reporter around without
telling everyone that it's happening.  this one's maybe a little less
intrusive cuz he's only interested in seeing the process, not reporting on
the content, but it's still a tricky thing.

that said, there are plenty of public/community issues where having a
professional storyteller present would not be weird at all and might even
help the cause, if part of the cause includes sharing the story widely, or
having a professional piece to share around.  so maybe we can find him
something like this?

thanks, m