Balloons - caution in disposing/releasing

Diane Brandon diane at keysregion.org
Sun Apr 20 09:23:44 PDT 2008

Hi All,

Sorry to interject this -- balloons are so colorful -- but please do
be careful where and how you release helium balloons. Here's one
article, pasted in below, about a mylar balloon almost killing a
whale.... it just happened to be the first one that came up when I
google searched
helium balloons bird deaths

A non-profit I worked for in the late 80s used to do a balloon
release, but stopped at the request of local wildlife folks who told
us about the sad results when these plastic items connect with
animals in the wrong way. (The strings can also be a problem -- I
remember a sad photo of a dead eagle wrapped in fish wire it had
gotten tangled in.)

Diane
diane.brandon at verizon.net

Helium Balloon Release: a potential death sentence
Recently I read an article about a young whale that had beached
itself on a sandy shore. Volunteers worked tirelessly to save this
beautiful, distressed and obviously sick whale. It was taken to a
nearby aquarium and given appropriate vitamin injections and fed
special foods with a view to improving its health and reintroducing
it back into its pod. Initially there appeared to be a slight
improvement in the whale's health but it was short lived. It
continued losing weight and swam listlessly around the aquarium's
pool. The veterinary staff finally decided to scope the whale's
stomach to see if they could identify anything that might explain the
whale's failure to thrive. What they found, surprised everyone. They
pulled out of the whale's stomach a deflated, mylar balloon with
"Happy Birthday" on it. It had been lodged in the stomach and was
blocking the passage of food through the whale's digestive system.
This little whale was slowly starving to death through no fault of
its own. The story has a happy ending: with the removal of the
balloon, the whale's health began to improve and he was soon reunited
with his pod in the ocean.

The release of Helium filled balloons at events such as football
games, political conventions, rallies, memorial events or just for
the heck of it, has practically become a way of life. Sometimes
hundreds of balloons are released at a time at such events. There is
no doubt as the multi-coloured balloons are let go and drift skyward,
it is a beautiful sight. It isn't difficult to imagine their view of
the vanishing ground below and further imagine that we are with them
flying free up, up and away, perhaps carrying with them a message to
a loved one in the case of a memorial event.

What is very scary is where these balloons can end up, particularly
when more and more are sent upwards into the atmosphere. Obviously
they have to end up somewhere and it is important to consider where
their end may be. The above whale story is not the first time I have
heard about released balloons, once deflated, adversely affecting
unsuspecting birds and mammals. Bits of balloon have been found in
dead sea birds, turtles and in the stomachs and intestines of many
different fish.

Please reconsider releasing helium balloons. Please consider the
birds and animals who cannot speak for themselves and who end up
experiencing an agonizing death as, deflated balloons or portions of
them, end up in their stomachs and intestines and they starve to death.

There are so many other ways to celebrate or memorialize without
harm. Light a beautiful candle, do some volunteer work, make a
donation in your loved one's name but Please Don't Release Helium
Balloons. Homing doves or pigeons are a thoughtful and considerate
alternative. The birds are not harmed and can find their way home
time and time again. They too, make an impressive memorial display as
they are released into the air. Helium balloons may carry aloft a
death sentence for a unsuspecting animal member of our planet and it
is just not worth the price.

http://www.multiplebirthsfamilies.com/articles/ber_q21.html