gail west icataiw at ms69.hinet.net
Thu Sep 20 21:04:37 PDT 2007

>Well done, Peggy! Definitely deserving of a
>profound "Atta-Girl!!" Every time I find myself
>in a conversation such as this a simple
>(minded?) question comes to the fore. If
>everybody knew precisely where they were going,
>why would they bother to come in the first place?
>
>Somewhere along the line you say something to
>the effect that orderly precision is to be
>applauded in the manufacture of autos, planes,
>etcŠ True, I guess - but in those situations we
>know, or at least think we know, what we are
>doing. So it makes sense just to get it done.
>However, at a deeper level, the manufacturing
>process of those critters is just as chaotic as
>all the rest of life (LOTS OF MYSTERY) at least
>for those who are actively engaged in the
>process. And if you don't believe that just
>listen to the engineers and technicians as they
>do their job. Lots of chaos, confusion and
>conflict, although people try real hard to keep
>the knowledge of those realities from the
>customer.
>
>It is also true that innovation and improvement
>come precisely at the points of chaos (at the
>edge of mystery). And when a system gets (or
>thinks it has gotten) all the answers,
>innovation is dead - and it won't be too long
>before the system itself is moribund. Your
>friend seemingly feels that we actually have a
>choice - to engage/not to engage the question.
>To avoid or not to avoid the fundamental
>churning of life (chaos). Seen in this light,
>what happens in Open Space (what happened in
>your Open Space) is not some un-natural
>aberration. It is just what is. (Whatever
>happens is the only thing that could have.) When
>things get really wild, I can certainly
>understand the desire to hide under a rock and
>get out of the way. And every so often you just
>have to do that, but I fail to see that this
>withdrawal changes the essential nature of this
>wonderful chaordic stuff we call life and
>living.  We didn't create it, and we can't
>really change it - but we can certainly learn
>how to live it better.
>
>Harrison

Peggy...thank you for sharing this learning and
clear thinking for us. The work of "fieldworking"
cannot be a linear process. I have often thought
of it as a similar process to what happens when
an atmosphere loads up with humidity which
eventually precipitates into rain. It takes time
for conditions to arise, and when things
precipitate, it is always the right time. To be
sure, there is still some moisture that remains
in the atmosphere, but the gift of this is that
it seeds the next cycle.

My hope for your correspondent - if indeed he is
truly invested in the invitation you and Tom and
others issued - is for him to remain suspended in
the field of inquiry and not knowing and by doing
so to keep dropping questions and learning into
the field so that something powerful may yet
precipitate for him and others who respond to his
invitation. It's about passion bounded by
responsibility. There is clearly passion here,
and I hope that he can see the benefit of taking
the responsibility to stay in the crunchy zone of
confusion and not-knowing, as an act of
leadership and invitation to the world he wants
to see birthed. We men don't do too well with
labour pains. ( :-) )

Congrats on a great conference.

Chris

Kaliya wrote: "At the same time when I ran a
'datasharing summit' for techies and opened the
morning circle with please share your name and
one word about how you are feeling this morning.
One of the guys who works for a large internet
company on the east coast shared with me at the
end of the day that that was slightly
unconfortable for him (he was not saying we
should not have done it just that it had nudged
on his edge a bit). I think you underestimate
where people's edges are for this kind of stuff."

For whatever it is worth, I share the gentleman's
sentiments. Perhaps it is our common East Coast
Heritage, or possibly something deeper and
darker? J But truth to tell every time I find
myself in one of those "community building,
people comforting, getting to know you sorts of
things at the start of a gathering I find myself
looking wistfully at the coffee pot and wishing
that I had extended my stay out in the hall way.

As you might gather, I never "do" something like
that at the commencement of an Open Space. In
addition to whatever personal preferences I might
have, there are quite practical reasons. The
first is that my attention span is so
ridiculously short that by the time the 3rd
person has uttered the magic formula (name and
feeling) I have already forgotten the 1st two
people. And truth to tell I don't really care how
everybody is feeling at that moment (they know
and that is sufficient), I just want to get to
work. Well, I guess that is personal too, and
doubtless part of that up-tight, buttoned down,
East Coast Syndrome. But there really is a
practical reason here (I hope!)

The real thrust and focus of an Open Space is (so
far as I am concerned) Doing the Business -
whatever that might be. And the quicker you get
to that "business" the better. So when it comes
to the "opening" keep it short, and simple. This
is not about doing a process, having "face time"
- or anything else. It is all about opening some
space so folks can go to work. And when that has
happened, get out of the way.

It really isn't about YOU! It is all about the
people and their "business."  And anything that
stands in the way of doing business is
questionable. I think.

And now about the "Circle."   ("Yes AND it
doesn't mean that circles are the answer to
'everything'.") Well, maybe not everything!  But
for a lot of things! The simple fact of people
sitting (coming together) in a circle randomizes
everything. People sit where they have the space
- and not according to some predetermined view of
how thing ought to be. Strangers meet strangers,
out of which grows strange new conversations -
which never would have happened with the old
crowd sitting in a bunch. No assigned seating --
something new. And in the newness comes
innovation. Not pre-designed, programmed - all
emergent. Works just about every time.

Harrison

--
Gail West, ICA