The Ways Ensemble and Open Space

Pat Black patoitextiles at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 20:38:36 PDT 2007

Hi Peggy
I have cc your post to Steve and I will let him and the other ensemble
members answer your questions directly.  I do believe that the arts do
provoke shifts or rumbles and shakes when we resist shifting of the
heart.  The arts can suspend us in the invisible and hold us there
long enough to recalibrate our senses allowing us to see things we
could not see before.  Allowing us to know what is right before us but
never knew.
Art creation when it works, when all the pieces of the mystery seem to
line up and all you can say is yah that is what I am talking about,
happens in much the same way as all other self organization.  You have
to open the space and see what shows up.  You have to open the space
and see what you have to offer in the emergence that wants to be.
There is plenty of skill and practice that is a part of your
preparation to partake in the process of creation but at the end of
the day if you get attached to a rigid view of what "it" should be you
it the being right out of it and lose the heart.  So art making in
opinion is another expression of open space.
pat