funding community work?

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Fri Nov 16 05:26:31 PST 2007

Doubtless I have led a blessed and charmed life, at least some might think
so and I know so. But the truth of the matter is that funding for my work
has never been something I worried about, at least not much. In one way or
another things just got taken care of, although not always in the time frame
or amount that I hoped for or expected. Starting in the late '70's when I
left my last honest job (where I actually got a pay check) I simply followed
my nose. If there was a plan I don't have a clue what it was, although in
retrospect everything seems to make a certain amount of sense. And my nose
took me to lots of interesting nooks and cranies, most of which looked
nothing like a job or a paycheck. My facination with organizational culture,
myth (story) and ritual was viewed as odd to say the least, and when I
ventured into the strange new world of transformation in organizations the
common judgement, I think, was that I was just weird. As for Open Space
Technology that, as you all know, was a matter of two martinis. Talk about
the cost of doing business:-) Regardless, I just kept following my nose. And
to date, I have never missed a meal. On occasion friends and colleagues
would ask what it was that I thought I was doing -- and truthfully I
couldn't really say. The closest I ever came to getting "it" into words went
something like this. It was my hope to somehow contribute to the business of
making human life human.

Is there a lesson here? Maybe. One thing that pops out is that I never made
any effort to define "community" -- or maybe more accurately my definition
was about as broad as it could get -- human life, or all of humanity.
Everything was connected even if I couldn't see it at the time. I have
worked in Barrios and Board rooms and as far as I could see it was all the
same. People being people trying to get on in the world. Some did well, some
not so well, but doing well never seemed to have much to do with their
station in life. Corporate presidents could appear as paupers, and beggers
as kings. What I learned in one place always had application in another, and
when I connected deeply with some individual that connection always led to
deeper connections with others. Does this make any sense? I don't know, but
it has been fun.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html