Seeking a very strong facilitator

Diana Larsen dlarsen at futureworksconsulting.com
Thu Nov 1 10:54:56 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm looking for your help and recommendations. Do you know someone
who is a strong facilitator and lives in the area within driving
distance of Toronto Canada? When I began wondering how I could find
such a person, my thoughts immediately turned to this list...where I
knew I would find other strong facilitators who would recognize and
know where to find the best folks. So, thanks for being here.

Here's the story:

This year, I'm serving as the chair of a group of thirteen strong
personalities who work together on the board of a industry
association non-profit (mostly volunteers and a couple of staff
members). We usually work in monthly teleconferences for our board
meeting, then two or three times a year come together for a face-to-
face meeting. We have set the time for 1.5 days in early December,
and already have a list of tasks we need to accomplish during the
meeting, including at least one report from an outside service
provider, so I suspect we won't hold the meeting in open space. :-
( (Just to manage everyone's expectations.)

I'd like to find a strong, general facilitator who can rein in some
folks and encourage others; who can offer a few alternative processes
for discussion, visioning and action items; and who comes from
outside the software industry. I need someone with excellent
facilitation skills because we have facilitator members in the group,
and I want them to focus on the topics at hand rather than meta-
critiquing the facilitator in the backs of their (my) minds. ;-) We
need someone who is strong enough to let us relax and trust their
process.

Who would you recommend? Please send suggestions/recommendations to
me off the OS list at dlarsen at futureworksconsulting.com . (Michael, I
will also check the worldmap. ;-) )

Again, thanks everyone,
Diana

Diana Larsen
www.futureworksconsulting.com
Chair, Agile Alliance Board of Directors www.agilealliance.org
co-author: "Agile Retrospectives" http://tinyurl.com/3dr5v3
Ask me about: "Secrets of Agile Teamwork: Beyond Technical Skills"
workshop
Dec 11-13, Portland OR