"rules" and self-organization

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed May 30 08:23:23 PDT 2007

In a message dated 5/30/07 6:15:33 AM, rcopleman at comcast.net writes:

> If self-organization occurs in os, would not the "space" still "open"
> without things we have come to believe are essential?

Ralph--

People have been self-organizing conversations about things that matter to
them, long before Harrison's "two-martini idea."

I agree that our usual structure and rules may not be necessary.   However, I
think they are useful for releasing people from habitual patterns of behavior
(on a "temporary" basis, which may not be as scary).

I have long believed that the use of simple rules (Open Space, or a variety
of others) can make it easy for a group to experience new behavior and,
sometimes, a higher level of organization--in a very short time, and with minimal
inputs of energy into the system.   I had the fun recently of introducing a group
to simple rules for improvisational theater, and watching them "act their way
to a new way of thinking."   This simple intervention has released energy,
enthusiasm and action in the organization, far greater than the energy that was
put into it.

So, I guess I am not a purist about waiting for self-organization to happen
entirely on its own, but am willing to nudge it a little.

Pondering, this morning--

Joelle