whatever happens...is personal!

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Fri May 11 11:38:26 PDT 2007

Good point Joanna! The effective meaning of words is most often to be found
in the ears of the listener - no matter what the speaker may have intended.
And that meaning can and does change. And with that change, very often comes
new and deeper understanding - sometimes surprising new understandings.

I think this is really true with the 4 Principles and The Law. On first
hearing, I suspect most people take them to be funny (odd) or outrageous.
Maybe, outrageously funny. I am not sure how much our (the facilitator's)
explanations change any of that. More to the point, I am almost certain that
most people (participants) don't remember exactly what we said anyhow - but
they do seem to remember the principles and the law. Probably because we
have them posted around and about. Maybe I am stretching a bit, but I think
that the original definitions are almost beside the point. What counts is
the sort of dialogue that seems to go on between the participants and the
principles/law over time. People find meaning, then new meaning, then deeper
meanings as they go along. And our part in all of this seems to have less to
do with the 15 minutes of fame we have up front (Thank you Andy Warhol!)
than with the way we are over time. In a word, the most powerful
statement/definition of the 4 Principles and One Law, so far as we are
concerned, is our being - the way we are. The first principle comes alive
(maybe) when we treat each participant as absolutely the RIGHT person. The
2nd Principle comes alive (perhaps) when people experience us as being
totally in the present moment (absolutely present and totally invisible) -
with Zero concern for what could have been, might have been, should have
been.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html