OST with Armed Forces

Vliex, Carla (cvl) CVL at tg.nl
Wed May 9 06:01:50 PDT 2007

James and others.

We did some Open Space gatherings recently in the police field here in
the Netherlands.   The most special Open Space, according to me, was the
Open space for 'ISC'as the CEO was more than content and happy
afterwards.

ISC is the organization in The Netherlands that takes care of the supply
of ICT products and services for the police forces. ISC has experienced
significant growth over the past few years, partly due to the desire of
the central government for matters in ICT to be better matched.
Management has marked out a direction and wants to give shape to its
mission and vision. After a lot of deliberation an Open Space is chosen
as work form. All 120 managers are invited to tackle the question: 'What
distinguishes us outside and what binds us inside?'

The formulation of the central issue was determined by the desire of the
management to give the mission and vision further shape and interpret
it. The right formulation of this central issue was established by the
management with a number of staff members ('What distinguishes us
outside and what binds us inside?'). In the Open Space everyone was
invited to add to the agenda the thing they felt most involved in. Most
agenda items during this Open Space, and through that also most of the
conversations, were about 'cooperation', the theme that was of most
interest to the participating managers. Does that mean the Open Space
was a failure, because it was scarcely about mission and vision at all?
The classic answer would be: 'Yes, we (management) did not get out of it
what we envisaged, we did gain insight into the themes that are
important to the managers present but mission and vision were scarcely
discussed.' The CEO was great; this is what he said to me:  'I wanted to
use the brainpower of all the managers. As a CEO you only see part of
your organization. The day was successful anyway because there were
conversations, much more than in other meetings. There was a great
commitment. Even the lowest level managers did their bit. That it was
less about mission and vision also has to do with the nature of our
organization. Everyone wants to work for the policeman on the street who
must ensure that our country is safe and stays safe. We talk about that
less in abstract terms and more in terms of what we have to do to
achieve that together, we are very much action-driven. To my mind it
definitely was about the right things.'

warmest regards

Carla from the Netherlands

Met vriendelijke groet,

drs. Carla Vliex
Senior Adviseur Organisatie Ontwikkeling
Twynstra Gudde Adviseurs en Managers
Stationsplein 1, 3818 LE Amersfoort
Postbus 907, 3800 AX Amersfoort
033-4677760