Methods for Strategic Collaboration: Blendi ng Appreciati ve Inquiry, World Cafe, Open Spac e Technology & Pola rity Management ™

Marc Steinlin marc.steinlin at i-p-k.ch
Tue May 8 22:33:05 PDT 2007

Dear Christine,

Many thanks for sharing this with us.

This is the first time I am writing to this list, so let me quickly
introduce myself. I am Marc, I am Swiss but living in Cape Town
(South Africa). I have been working for more than 8 years with a
large Swiss Development NGO as their Knowledge Manager and Human
Rights advisor. In this position I have come across methods like
OpenSpace, WorldCafé, AI and Future Search Conferences, which excite
me a lot. Today I work as an independent consultant in all the fields
mentioned, mainly again with development agencies. In the last 12
months I have held space about 6 times with all sizes of groups, from
about 70 to very small groups and I am enthusiastic about it. I have
also used other methods (like WorldCafé) but do consider myself as
still very much exploring and learning.

I am about to set up a similar type of workshop as you describe
which I will facilitate for the International Labour Organisation
(ILO) in July in Ethiopia. I do use a combination of WorldCafé,
Appreciative Interviews, Story Telling and OpenSpace and therefore am
most curious on what other people do. Attached you find a very brief
description of how I have tried to put the components together.
Just a word on the background of the workshop: 5 projects of the ILO
on decent work have just started off. The idea is to create a network
of learning and sharing knowledge from each other for the duration of
the projects. For this purpose the project staff should get
acquainted with each other, learn about their issues, topics that
each one is concerned with and to create a vision and plan on how to
exchange over the months to come.

If you have some conceptual material on your approach (as you flyer -
there was no attachment), I would be very interested in learning more.

Cheers,
-marc

IngeniousPeoplesKnowledge
Marc Steinlin