whatever happens...

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed May 9 14:48:59 PDT 2007

Gabriela, you may disappear down an endless rabbit hole of semantic (not to
mention grammatical) obfuscation and confusion! I think the real point is
the meaning, no matter the words. And given the number of languages that OS
has wandered into - the words must be infinite! And who knows what the
"right" ones are??? For myself the phrase, "Whatever happens is the only
thing that could have" - just came out that way. No particular thought on
the subject, it just felt right. And over the years it still feels right -
but the MEANING (for me) is -

The past is over, the future hasn't happened yet. All we have is NOW. The
could-have-beens, might-have-beens, should-have-beens are all (presumably)
interesting but also basically irrelevant to our present opportunities Now.
Now is where our passion must be focused, and Now is where responsibility
must be taken. All the rest is abstract, theoretical, and definitely NOT
NOW! Or something :-)

And then, of course, if you want to get into some interesting philosophical,
esoteric, not to say weird waters, you might ask yourself - How Big is Now?
Could be a very small Now, in which case the opportunities and the
responsibilities of infinitesimal. On the other hand, that NOW could be huge
- like the whole Cosmos. Talk about opportunity and responsibility! Boggles
the mind! Probably not worth thinking about!!

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html