Has anyone done a short OS as a break out session?

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue Mar 27 10:10:49 PDT 2007

I have done this on a number of occaisions, including offering seven OST
sessions within a larger conference on early childhood development.   I
think that we offered them as Open Space sessions but with the theme
highlighted in the conference program and a small description about the
format listed in the conference program as well   At that conference we
gained a couple of OST junkies who came to all seven sessions regardless of
what they were about just because they loved the format.

The only issue with doing this is making sure there is enough time and that
the room is set up right.  It tends to be outside of the orbit of most
conference organizers to imagine a breakout session that requires only a
circle of chairs and a wall.  So make it easy on them and let them know what
you need.  If you have less than 2 hours, my experience is that it is better
to sacrifice a closing circle than it is to cut the discussion session
short.  If you are running up against a break in the conference proceedings,
you might get away with a one word check out, but I have found that most
conference goers will want to get out of the room right after the session is
over to get back to their networking.  Despite Open Space offerings, the
best part about traditional conferences is still the coffee breaks!

Chris

On 3/27/07, Larry Peterson <larry at spiritedorg.com> wrote:

>  Depends what you mean by "short".  I most recently led an OS event in a
> 3.5 hour session as part of a housing conference.  A client organization
> had used it and suggested that folks try it.  It was not OS for the sake
> of experiencing OS.  I worked with the conference planning committee to
> identify a key theme for the organization that would draw participants –
> this one was dealing with NIMBY.  It was position in the conference
> materials in relation to the content and OST was mentioned as the approach
> –the conference description was an "initiation" and it was describe that way
> in plenary.  It went well and those who came and played loved the
> conversations and the OST.
>

> Larry
>

> Larry Peterson
>
> Associates in Transformation
>
> Toronto, ON, Canada
>
> 416.653.4829
>

> larry at spiritedorg.com
>
> www.spiritedorg.com

> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training
Open Space Technology

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com

Principal, Harvest Moon Consultants, Ltd.
http://www.harvestmoonconsultants.com