Interesting article about Wikipedia

Tenneson Woolf tenneson at berkana.org
Sat Mar 10 07:50:31 PST 2007

Interesting piece and question Chris - thanks. Good morning from Utah.

What are the simple rules of making visible, of harvesting, that when
practiced (edited) by an undefined many (randomness, chaos) produce pattern
(harvest that serves - content for specific circumstances AND process for
use across circumstances)? Yup, sounds familiar.

Simple example for me this week is using flickr to make visible flipcharts
from an event. I took pictures, uploaded them to flickr, sent people the
link. For them, this was new and added another quality of making visible -
energy of color, etc. For me, it is just practice (editing) in an
unrequested way (randomness) to produce a result (content and process) that
improves what was previously there.

I can't remember the name of the guy who wrote about the wisdom of crowds.
The simple story he uses is of people guessing the weight of a prize bull at
the county fair. Lots of uninformed people basically accumulate to get in
right on. Wonder where that weaves in here.

Control and wikipedia? There is wisdom available in the group that otherwise
isn't.

And also, what do we learn about collaboration and resilience when we
rethink available time?

Tenneson

Tenneson Woolf

The Art of Hosting

tenneson at berkana.org

www.artofhosting.org <http://www.artofhosting.org/>

801 376 2213

Dyer Institute for Leading Organizational Change

tenneson_woolf at byu.edu

www.dyerinstitute.byu.edu <http://www.dyerinstitute.byu.edu/>

801 422 2665

  _____