microphones

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Mar 1 16:23:09 PST 2007

Bui asked:

I am interesting in hearing what people's experience is with (not) using a
microphone. How large can the group be without needing a microphone and
sound system? And when a microphone and system are needed but the venue does
not have any, what do most of you do get that organized? Do you take care of
that yourself or do you leave that to the sponsor?

If the group is big and the room is big I find that using a microphone is
useful.  I have a slight hearing problem and also I always want to assume
that any group I work with has different abilities - to design with the most
possible access in mind.  So when the site is large and has a microphone, I
use it (or not if it turns out not to be working or not to be necessary).  I
let the client/sponsor/host/site take care of this - it is on the materials
/ audio-visual list I give to them.  If the venue does not have a microphone
and there is no way to secure one (for budgetary or technology or other
access reasons) we simply work with what we have, no worries.

Though I find that speaking loud enough if the room or group is big can be
harder on those with quieter voices or personal styles or cultures where it
is already challenging to speak up.

At those times the circle(s) often move in very closely to hear one another,
I find.

So again, we are talking about resources, access, inclusion, possibilities,
realities, and flexibility.

Cheers,

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t