integrating OST with development work in Altai

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at BK.RU
Sun Mar 18 22:38:50 PDT 2007

Dear fellow spaceholders,

I am posting the below on behalf of Carol Hiltner from Seattle.

Warmly,
Raffi

Marina Tyasto is a world hero, bringing OST to government officials across
Siberia, from her position as head of the International Department for
Siberian Academy for Public Administration (SAPA).

There is a Russian federal law giving vast new responsibilities to
"municipalities," (which are akin to American "counties"), especially for
participatory governance. Outside of the cities, these municipalities are
really struggling -- frequently without internet for even the most basic
access to implementation resources. SAPA does offer continuing education,
and Marina persuaded her Rector to give her a few hours at the end of the
courses for OST. And of course the officials are electrified!

At this point, funding limits her to what she herself can do. This is where
I come in. My spiritual calling is to find ways to globally disseminate the
extraordinary indigenous spiritual/cultural heritage of Altai, an autonomous
republic south of Novosibirsk (for map, see
http://www.altaimir.org/russiamap2007web.htm).

The first step is to support the Altai people to get a handle on the huge
influx of tourists (seeking healing) into this rural region. With
enthusiastic support from the people and government of Altai, I am
networking like mad, collaborating with Marina and others on grant
proposals. (I will be thrilled for any recommendations or contacts from OS
list members!)

We have also convened three OST strategic planning meetings for Altai (see
http://www.altaimir.org/OSNov06.htm, http://www.altaimir.org/OSDec06.htm,
and http://www.altaibooks.com/2006trekreport.htm) and will certainly have more.

In May, I'll be back in Novosibirsk (from Seattle) for the Global Leadership
Forum, for which Marina is a primary organizer, and for which she will be
Opening Space for world leaders.

Meanwhile, this coming summer, instead of making my usual trek to sacred Mt.
Belukha, I have joined with Nina Goncharova of Siberian Center for Eurasian
Projects, Jose Arguelles of Foundation for the Law of Time, and others, to
make an international expedition to sacred places across Siberia, from
Arkaim to Altai to Lake Baikal (see
http://www.altaimir.org/2007expedition.htm). We will kick it off with the
11th "Education for World Citizens" Congress (see
http://planet3000.site.voila.fr/A_letter_from_organizers_of_the_11_EWC_congress.html),
at which I will be given the opportunity to "Open Space"!

I am honored to have such a powerful tool as Open Space Technology with
which to work. I will continue to share periodic updates.