<no subject>

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Tue Mar 6 07:55:12 PST 2007

Harrison noted...

> When you have a
> group with 3-4 people doing most of the talking

Sometimes I include a statement roughly like the following in my opening:
For most of our time together most of us will be mostly listening, which is
how most of us learn.  In open space, listening is the behavior you will
likely find you¹re most frequently engaged in.

Sheila asked...

> So, my question is...though I am definitely all for adaptation to meet
> circumstances, when is "Open Space" not open space?  And, how do you
> counter the perception that what was done is what you understand to be OS?

One test for me of whether it¹s truly open space is if I feel like I have no
control over who does what and when and how they do it.  Absolutely no
coercion.  As to countering the perception you describe?  I am not
interested in arguing, so I might just say, ³I do it somewhat differently.²

As to your other question, Sheila, about your client, if you can open space,
you can bring them the benefits of open space.  You might cite the kinds of
outcomes that OS offers (regardless of who the facilitator happens to be)
and ask them if those are the things they¹re after.

Ralph Copleman