Open Space and Charrettes

Jeff Aitken magic.teams at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 26 14:26:12 PDT 2007

Andrew,

I facilitated a daylong open space sponsored by a community group of
architects, planners, and activists. The purpose was to generate community
input for renewing a famous neighborhood in San Francisco, which was given
to the city planning department to inform their own planning process with
this neighborhood.

There were tables covered with maps and photos at each session of the open
space, along with flipcharts to capture the proceedings. It was not a
charrette, but the architects told me it felt like a charrette.

We created a high quality report. City planners were present, however, the
sponsor did not have any guarantees that the report would be utilized in the
final plan. I did not learn (two years later) what the final plan said.

Jeff Aitken