Greetings from Venezuela. OS for decisions?

Jason Diceman jd at cooptools.ca
Mon Jun 4 15:05:52 PDT 2007

Thanks Lisa.

> "Convergence Approaches"
>http://www.openingspace.net/openSpaceTechnology_method_resources_Convergence_Approaches.shtml

...was very insightful.

While I can imagine the report backs (written, skit, or other format)
being useful way of capturing some convergence, I can imagine that it
would still leave the community with a need to clarify and prioritize
options for their required votes.

The process of signing up for taking responsibility for posted action
plans could be very helpful for recognizing which ideas have the most
volunteer support, although I worry it may not recognize important
plans that people are not comfortable with taking responsibility on,
e.g. fixing high voltage fuses. In such cases it may only take one
volunteer to coordinate with a 3rd party service provider. I guess it
depends how they perceive "taking responsibility".

Grouping similar and related ideas into "families" makes definite
sense but still lacks clarity of what items the community agrees
should receive most attention first.  For example: 1. Increasing water
pressure in the community centre, and  2. Setting-up water heating.
They are both in the same "family" but which one should be funded
first?

The idea of using software to prioritize ideas is not an option in
most of the communities here.  In fact even asking the people to use
markers, easels and easel paper is a bit of a stretch, considering
most of the meetings are in the street.

The use of dot voting to prioritize ideas could definitely work.  To
be honest, this was the answer I was thinking, but I did not want to
assume.  I have developed an upgrade to traditional dot voting called
"advanced dotmocracy" that doesn't use stickers and avoids concerns
about vote splitting.  See http://dotmocracy.org

After ideas are dotted the assembly could then vote to formally
approve a plan that includes the top dotted ideas.  Council members
and volunteers could then follow through on the plan.

Are there other prioritization techniques better than dot voting that
could be used easily and reliably with 100 participants and no
computers?

Also, any thoughts on how OS could fit within a format of weekly 3
hour meetings?

Any suggestions for introducing this break-out groups into communities
that have a strong plenary tradition?

You can read more about the Venezuelan communal councils at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venezuelan_Communal_Councils

Thanks so much!

-jd

Jason Diceman      Co-op Tools