OS as post-conference session

Communications Esther Matte ematte at excellence.ca
Fri Jun 29 11:09:03 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,

At the end of August, there will be, in Montreal,
a "Forum social québécois" - like the Social
Forums that happened in Bresil and around the
world in the last few years, but with a focus on
Quebec society. They did their programming in a
very open manner, people registering sessions
they wanted to hold. Too bad I didn't find out
about this thing earlier, as I would have
proposed an OST format for the whole thing!

So, I'm playing with the idea of proposing an OST
session for the end of the event. My goal is to
have some of these people experience OST because
I think it could be a very useful tool for the
participating organizations. What would be great
is that if any of them are then interested in
exploring OST further, they could participate to
our OSONOS in French, in September.

I'm thinking of a 4-hour session, with a theme
like "What have we learned at this Forum and how
will we use it?" These events can be very
stimulating and inspiring, leaving people full of
energy, ideas and good intentions. However, once
back to the "real life", the day-to-day stuff
tends to overtake calendars and it's ofen very
difficult to follow-up on the original good
intentions. So an OST post-conference session
could give people space, a time and a place, to
focus on which learnings are most important to
them, discuss how they can use it, network and
start planning what they will do next.

However, I see a potential problem: there will be
lots of people coming from all kinds of sectors
and backgrounds, some quite formal, like unions,
some quite informal, like citizens groups. And
there are many "tracks" to the Forum, like Human
Rights, Environment,  Public Services, Work,
Social Economy, etc. So there will really be no common basis, no unique focus.

Maybe a theme like "what more do we want to learn
and share and teach and discover with each other
before we all go our separate ways‘ could work
better. Or "what next", so that the people in one
"track" might  decide, in their sessions, to come
together to my OS session to plan the next steps.

I have a feeling it's a good idea, but not sure
how to work it out. Any experiences, thoughts,
warnings? I will greatly appreciate any comment.

I still haven't approached anyone with my idea.
Just playing with it for now. I need to see this
happening clearly in my head first :-)

Thanks a million!