The Theme

Deborah Hartmann deborah at hartmann.net
Wed Jun 20 04:02:41 PDT 2007

I've been mulling over the BarCamp phenom and its relation to Open
Space. I'm starting to think there are 2 kinds of events:

Issue/Problem focused (classic Open Space)
Community-based (BarCamp = OS minus Focused Theme/Reports/Action Planning )

For ex: I'm starting to think maybe the theme for TorCamp is always the
same: Something like - building a more vibrant software community in
Toronto (the theme of the original TorCamp). In these, the right people
come because they are/want to be part of the community. The community
becomes whatever they bring, so it's the right stuff. We want them to
bring a variety of stuff, because it's not about focus but serendipity
and new connections...

New, raw thoughts. Got to run. Will check in to see what others think
and build on this.

btw: I'm running an exciting session today - not OS, but two different
retrospectives for an organisation: Cultural Retro followed by a Process
exercise called Value Stream Mapping (from the Lean Manufacturing
school). Tomorrow they begin to step into their improved future process! :-)

deb

Deborah Hartmann
Agile Process Coach
deborah AT hartmann DOT net