Facilitator must be part of the conversations

Brendan McKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Mon Jul 30 17:01:29 PDT 2007

Thanks for the question Doug....and my comments would be similar to
Chris' response....
a contextual solution, linking purpose to place....raising a further question:

Who holds the space when you don't?

In a facilitator co-learning program recently, we talked a great deal
about this....
when the facilitator participates in conversations, and gives full
presence and attention to the discussion (and would there be any
other way to participate genuinely?), the space may have no-one
holding it for the whole group...and this is where a vacuum might
emerge, into which might step anyone. Tribes require leaders, and if
not the facilitator, then they will hand that role over to someone
else...and there may well be a few folks keen to grab it?

In situations where there is a familiar or intimate group, well
experienced with Open Space, this does not seem to be an issue - as
leadership can be shared around more seamlessly....in other groups,
this could be a real risk...

cheers
Brendan