Facilitator must be part of the conversations

Gabriel Shirley gabriel at bigmindconsulting.com
Mon Jul 30 13:46:03 PDT 2007

Doug,

If the facilitator is part of the system, such as at an OSonOS or at
a professional association meeting, I think there can be value in
participating. I've seen this happen many times, and I think it
depends on the situation.

At its best, facilitator participation is a way of modeling the flow
between leadership and followership.

I think it works best when there is a fair amount of trust and/or
when the issues being discussed are so big (e.g. Climate Change) that
it's clear no one person could be "the expert."

I like that you've posed the question to explore the up sides of
facilitator participation... and I look forward to others' thoughts.
I recently posed a similar question to a group of personal &
professional coaches, something like: If you have expertise in the
subject being discussed, do you share it with your client? The answer
was pretty unanimous: These coaches would choose to share their
professional expertise / knowledge if they though it would be useful
to the larger process, AND they said they would be very clear with
the client that they were removing their "coach" hat and putting on
their "author/engineer/whatever" hat for a while.

Gabriel

--
Gabriel Shirley
BigMind Consulting