Opening challenges

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at BK.RU
Fri Jul 27 14:28:40 PDT 2007

Phelim,

Thanks for sharing more of your work with theatre using OST in the UK.

On at least one occasion I have seen 1-2 people stomp out or leave during
the opening. (and yes, I checked, I *had* showered that day)

Is there anything that is wrong with challenging the spaceopener and making
an unplanned early departure?

I'm not sure this is about being challenged by something so simple. We're
inviting each individual to announce to (most likely) a group of strangers
what they love and what they are willing to take responsibility for.

Creative people, scientists, all kinds of people have spent centuries trying
to figure out what love is, responsibility probably has as much coloration
and depth as love, pretty complex stuff wrapped in just two simple words. We
are inviting people to make a pretty courageous - and necessary- step.

It can be pretty scary. I know that each time I announce a topic in an OST
meeting, it's a little scary. My heart races, I enter another space- an
altered state?- and I am relieved once I've announced my topic and can sit
down again with the group.

Perhaps it is worth considering what is right about getting up and leaving,
and how that contributes to the group's work getting done?

warmly,
raffi

p.s. re-reading the User Guide recently, I was reminded that once you've
opened the space, don't answer any questions. Questions are an excellent way
to avoid getting to work, to remain on the edge of the open space.