Opening challenges

Phelim McDermott phelim at mac.com
Fri Jul 27 13:17:19 PDT 2007

Well Doug,

The last time I did an open space event in Bristol before this one, a
guy stormed out in the opening but came back at the end of the day to
the pub to see how it had gone and to get the gossip. It seemed he
wanted to hear how badly it had gone. He then left in a huff because
people said it went well. He said later in an email that he didn't
want to come to an event that was childish and he wanted an event
where he could network.. he felt patronised by being told to
contribute what he was passionate and responsible about. ( I think
this is a particular raw nerve for theatre makers maybe). I told him
that everything he wanted was in open space and i didn't now an event
more condusive to supporting genuine networking. He didn't want to
hear this. I think i am guessing that if someone imagines how its
going to be then they might think it can't be sophisticated or
complex because it seems so simple or in their terms simplistic.
What's Interesting is the challenge to me this time came at exactly
the same time in the introduction as the first guy stormed out so
maybe there's something i'm doing that triggers this or.. maybe it's
a "The plane's now leaving if you don't want to come.. get off now.
An action thats a result of freedom shock.

Phelim