The Emergant (used to be RE: hierarchy and things)

Pat Black patoitextiles at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 09:57:43 PDT 2007

Harrison wrote
>As part of that conversation I would point out what seems to me to be
a puzzle in our >thinking. We continue to talk about "design" and
"organizing things" – which is quite >understandable since that is
what we have always done. And yet in a self organizing
>(Open Space) world both design and organization are not fundamentally
of our making. >We continue to have and important role to play in the
whole affair, but rather a different >one that most of us expected.
Perhaps the first step is to deeply appreciate the design >and
organization that emerges, and then seek ways to optimize the effect?

Yes Yes Yes.  i think this is the key point.  In the appreciation of
the design whatever that is we are present, a part of the space, an
element of the design.  The way to optimize it is to be yourself and
your purpose inside the design that emerges.  The only way to
influence the course of the design is to be an element of it.  The
focus is turned inwards toward the emergence of self and away from the
external thinking how to I change the other.  In the internal thinking
there is no "other" because self is a part of everything self
encounters. I am wondering if there is no "other" than is it all
Space?