hierarchy...was report from the field

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Sun Jul 15 04:29:57 PDT 2007

Within the Art of Hosting community of practice, we have been looking at a
fifth organizational paradigm, which is something like a combination of
hierarchy, circle, network and bureaucracy.  Some of us have been looking at
what these four paradigms have to offer, for examples, hierarchy offers
order and clarity, circle offers an equal reflective space, network offers
an immediate ability to connect with whatever is needed, and bureaucracy
helps channel resources where they are needed, "irrigating" initiatives or
parts of an organization.

Certainly, each of these has a dark side, but if the benefits are
illuminated and then transcended, you get a fifth organizational paradigm in
which all four can be somehow present and somehow something new is born.  I
think we are increasingly seeing Open Space meetings as the embodiments of
this fifth form, which has gone by many other names among those of us here
on the list: InterActive Organization, Conscious Open Space Organization,
Inviting Organization, Radiant Networking and so on.  There is something in
the pattern of Open Space that, if it has not yet achieved transcendence of
these four forms, at least leads the eye to what might emerge.
Self-organization is clearly the key, or at least the gas in the engine.

I find it interesting that many of us who are devoted to these models of
dialogic practice can see the larger implications for organizing human
endeavours.  This connection between our practices and organizational forms
makes for incredibly inspired thinking.  Not all facilitators see what they
do as having broad implications for the way things are organized.  It
remains, I think, the crux of the next level of investigations into what all
of these methodologies mean.

Great thread.

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com

Principal, Harvest Moon Consultants, Ltd.
http://www.harvestmoonconsultants.com