The Chaordic Dance Continues! The talking stick

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Jan 23 14:53:06 PST 2007

The Talking Stick has become sort of an "institution" in Open Space, if only
because it seems to fit with what we do and the way we do it. For those of
you who may not be familiar with it -- the talking stick is the singular
gift of the 1st Nation People of the North America. Doubtless other Peoples
have similar forms and traditions, but this is the one I knew best. I used
it, not because it was some esoteric tradition, but simply because it has
always worked in profound ways -- at least in my experience. The First
Nation People will tell you, and I totally agree -- the Talking Stick should
never be used in a trivial way. But it is also true that the use is
elegantly simply in the extreme (very much like Open Space!). The rules are
very simple. If you hold the stick, you may speak. If you do not, you will
listen. But in either case you will speak or listen with respect. In short
this is not a dialogue, conversation, or argument. It is, as The People
might say, speaking wisdom as you perceive the wisdom. If you want some of
the details, it is all there in the User's Guide (Page 135, I think).

And does it have to be a stick? Actually almost anything can and has worked
as a "talking object" -- a microphone, magic marker, rock, etc. And my
favorite is an evergreen branch. First off it has a gentle grace which a
"stick" does not. And, for whatever it is worth, it is a universal symbol
for life and renewal. It also smells good. When a group of people hold an
evergreen branch over time -- the warmth of their hands warm the wood, and
the sap flows. Maybe a little sticky, but each person will be left with an
olfactory remembrance of the gathering. Sweet!

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html