Simultaneous translation at 5-language Open Space event [long]

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Jan 15 12:04:57 PST 2007

Hi, all -

Phelim wrote:

I WOULD recommend actually trying a rehearsal of the intro IN GIBBERISH
without anyone there to discover which bits of the process are being
communicated not by the words but by other means to reassure you people will
get it in whatever language you are speaking.

Dear Phelim, as always, your experience and creativity unlocks deeper
thinking and gives us new tools.

Let me underline that Phelim says 'trying a rehearsal . without anyone
there.'.  At first reading I thought you meant actually giving the
explanation of the principles and law in gibberish when I am facilitating
for people at this event.

And my response to that (to my not reading it correctly and interpreting it
as what you were saying) was 'gee I would not do that in front of people in
gibberish because then it would be (to many, because this is not a theatre
group) more about me / my personality / a performance (as some would see it)
instead of about them / about communicating to them.

Those of you who know me know that I would have no problems being
gibberish-y, and expressing things ;o)

I also know that if there were [some other group meeting for.] a several-day
OS event and folks were being playful it might by the 3rd day or so be
perfectly fun to include playful ways of reminding folks of the guidelines
one morning - such as through gibberish, art, silence, song, human
sculptures (tableaus or moving ones) or movement.  That is (again) if it
were logical given the people who are participating (not just because it's
fun for the facilitator).  It's very important for me to design in service
to the participants and their culture(s) whenever possible.

When I work internationally (or anywhere with people of multiple or
different languages) I do increase (can you imagine?) how animated and
physically expressive I am.  The interesting part of having my words
translated is the space in-between my words (because when translation is
going on I speak slower and allow for more space around each word) and I
think this also helps people feel and understand things (both verbally and
non-verbally).

By the way - Ms. Tree - you asked earlier about translating the guidelines
into Hmong - and although a good number of our participants will be
non-readers (hence our using either headset or 'whisper' translation -
seating people in small groups next to translators - whichever best fits the
number and kinds of language-users we have) there seems to be a written
language used in some Hmong communities here in the US which I'm guessing
has grown in use and development as over the years Hmong immigrants (from
several countries of origin) and then their US-born children enrich our
communities. So the members of our core planning committee for this
conference will make principles and law signs in this way of writing.

Here's an example of how text is written (and of course many of these words
below are English words and newer words, such as 'micro-credit lenders' so I
am guessing that in these early years of translating into perhaps a
not-often-written language there will be some 'Hmonglish' developed as well
- not-quite-translatable stuff..

The Community includes Immigrant farmers, Immigrant farming projects,
Refugee support services, Immigration support services, Cooperative
Extension Agencies, Legislators, Farmers Market Managers, Agricultural
marketing programs, Ethnic crop purveyors, USDA/ FSA agencies, micro-credit
lenders, cultural competency trainers, translators, agricultural producers,
Foundations, and other passionate advocates.

Cov tau koom ntawv muaj raws li no cov neeg ua teb uas khiav txawv teb chaws
tuaj; cov muaj hom phiaj yuav pab cov neeg ua teb; Cov neeg uas pab txhawb
cov neeg tawg rog; Qhov chaw uas pab cov neeg khiav txawv teb chaws tuaj;
Cov koom haum; Cov thawj saib xyuas kiakhw tshav puma; Cov pab rau seem ua
liaj ua teb cog qoob cog loo; Cov koom haum USDA/ FSA; Cov chaw txais nyiaj;
Cov qhia txog lwm haiv neeg; Cov pes lus; Cov chaw muaj nyiaj txiag pab;
thiab lwm tus uas muaj lub siab pab.

Cheers (in any language)

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t