Simultaneous translation at 5-language Open Space event [long]

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sun Jan 14 15:33:06 PST 2007

In a message dated 12/18/06 2:36:28 AM, filiz at bugday.org writes:

Phelim--

I have never tried working in gibberish, but have hosted poetry workshops at
several international gatherings.   I encourage participants to read poems in
their own languages, and suggest that listeners try to feel the meaning,
before any translation or paraphrasing is done.   In most cases, the meaning of the
poem communicates quite well from the sound of the words, the intonation and
feeling in the voice, and the body language of the reader.   More of our
communication is truly heart to heart than we realize!

Joelle