Principles-law-be prepared in Hmong, Maay Maay?

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Jan 4 20:21:41 PST 2007

Hi, folks -

Do any of you happen to have translations for the 4 principles, the Law of
Two Feet, 'Be Prepared to Be Surprised' in

   Hmong

    And / or

   Maay Maay (Somali Bantu) ?

If you have translations or photos of translations I would greatly
appreciate it - and I can add those languages as well to the international
glossary which is growing at my website.

This is for my upcoming immigrant farmers conference.

A note about translation, for those of you who may not yet have experienced
this:

As many of us have found when creating translations - ideally, the
translations should be done either by professional translators -or- by Open
Space facilitators and other folks who truly understand OS who are fluent in
those languages -or- by . poets.

Someone who simply speaks a language may or may not have the extensive and
nuanced vocabulary and skills to select j-u-s-t the right words so that it's
not simply a literal translation ( which often doesn't mean what we think it
means) and instead a careful selection of words that articulates the concept
behind the words.  In other words, it needs to be a cultural translation,
too.

Even when we think we have a great translation, it can be adjusted over time
as we use it in the field and is tested for universal understanding in that
language.

Thanks for sharing what you may have of these materials and resources,

Lisa

(the growing glossary is at http://www.openingspace.net/glossary.php?all )

(and for those of you who've not yet visited I also have resources for
learning and sharing - see
http://www.openingspace.net/openSpaceTechnology_method.shtml - including
'Resources for OST Practitioners' - enjoy.)

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator

O p e n i n g  S p a c e

 <mailto:lisaheft at openingspace.net> lisaheft at openingspace.net