FW: dominant and shy/Cultural Differences

Jeff Aitken magic.teams at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 18:29:33 PST 2007

When I set out to write a PhD dissertation some years ago I had a problem. I
needed to write about Open Space (because I love it), and I needed to write
about indigenous traditional knowledge (because this was the PhD program I
was in.)

Because I was studying my own ancestors and their traditional knowledge, I
decided to also try to study the "ancestors" of open space. Happily,
Harrison has written stories about his scholarly studies and worldly
experiences which somehow blended with the martinis at the
emergence/rediscovery of open space.

I focused on his seminary study of the Hebrew creation story (an early
journey across open space), his experiences with the Kpelle in Liberia, the
Bon Bpo (Tibetan) Buddhist teachings of the bardo, and the congruence of
Angeles Arrien's Four Fold Way with what we do in open space.

Years earlier when I studied with Angeles, who is trained in the Basque
mystical tradition, she would often claim that 85% of the world's cultures
agree on the point she was making. I never asked her where she got the
number 85%. Only later did I understand that she was talking about the
indigenous cultures on the planet. Now, of course, she's spreading a
"braided way" which can honor all 100% without discounting any of them.

I agree with HO on "how much the same it all is" around the world when we're
in open space. I think that open space is a "braided way" that helps us to
access ways of knowing and being that often get covered over by modern
assumptions about the world, while not discounting the juicy fruits of the
modern.

I'm happy to find, with the people I interviewed, that it only takes a day
or two in open space to begin this remembrance process. I'm excited to learn
about the experience of others...

Jeff Aitken (PhD!)

>From: Harrison Owen <hhowen at verizon.net>
>To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
>Subject: FW: dominant and shy/Cultural Differences

Rates near 39yr lows!  $430K Loan for $1,399/mo - Paying Too Much? Calculate
new payment
http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18226&moid=7581