dominant and shy

Arno Baltin arno at tlu.ee
Mon Feb 26 13:24:47 PST 2007

Hi,

> I would benefit from hearing a little bit more. Like Raffi, I sense
> that you're communicating something significant here, something that
> can help us to better understand ourselves and how we might be
> perceived by others.
>
> john

Well, I'll try some more.

As I am not sure, where the misunderstunding lies I'll try two ways.

1. Lets take another examples of participant behaviour at OS: the bee.
Some people feel at easy to change discussion groups, to listen some
here and then move to next discussion, add something to it and move
again. And then there are ones just staying from the beginning till the
end in one group. Again it is possible to search for individual motives
and preferences. Another way of reflecting on these differences is to
find a cultural value dominant in particular group (where thesse persons
come from). An interesting idea which comes from  cultural difference
descriptions is that there are groups (cultures) where it is OK do many
different things at the same time (multitasking)  versus on thing at
time cultures (a person should finish on business before turning to
another). So we could expect more bees on OS when participants share the
"multitasking"  cultural norm. And for participants from  "one business
cultures"  to become bee is a challenge.

2. Could be the my speculations are not easy to follow as i am not good
at explaining the idea of the impact of  cultural  differences on
organizational behavior. Although there are several different  models,
the  one I am most familiar is  the G.Hofstedes one (and everyone can
find more hints here):
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?CulturalDimensions
What I am trying to say is that participants form different cultural
background percieve OS differently. The same thing (law of two feet)
might be a normal thing for one person, challegenge for other and tabu
for third. And it depends not so much on the personality of this
particular person but on the cultural norm he is accustomed to.
For example here in Estonia (and this is just my opinion) discussions
turn often into "fight" as we are prone to "one truth" as a value. One
should discuss a topic till The Truth is found. It is rather hard to
tolerate many equally right viewpoints at the same time. (And there are
cultures where this is not the problem at all). So this cultural norm
leads often to not writing anything down on the paper till The Truth is
reached. At the end we will get too few proposals ...

thank you for taking time to follow,

Arno