FW: Mixing action planning and

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Sun Feb 25 15:44:56 PST 2007

Hi Beverly and all,

Reopening space for action: I also use that approachy but I do it only in
certain conditions.

  - When dealing with a group that does not constitute an intact (existing)
organization. For example in many conferences neither the sponsor
organization nor other participating organizations intend to take
responsibility for fthe overall follow-ups.

  - Where the theme is centered on learning and individual development.

  - When I am sure the leadership is open to the particular outcomes of this
approach (opening space for action) which is very different then first
surveying what the group feels are the priorities for the organization. (see
the desciption * of that process below.) Some sponsors/leaders feel that
organizational resources, time and money can only be committed to a limited
number of initiatives. Or, they want some sequencing of initiatives,
beginning with those topics that require attention first according to the
group as a whole.

Disadvantages of opening the space again for action that intact
organizations have pointed to:

  - Priorities for action were that of individuals or a few, often the more
extraverted people, not necessarily representative of where the leadership
or the majority of people may want to go.. The organization preferred
investing its resources and energy on priorities based on a clear indication
from all members present. They wanted to know what collectively was
considered the priorities to act on and then to identify who had passion and
leadership to act on those priorities.

  - Some felt there was a lack of focus, actions going in every direction -
no organizational vision.

  - Concern that limited resources may not be available for everything
individuals may have passion for.

  - Where trust is an issue, it may be more of a challenge for participants
to propose topics for action. Posting a topic is not just for discussion, it
’s for action so the method demands more of a stand. It's greater risk
taking, not knowing what the leadership or the group considers to be
priorities.

To reopen space for action:

  - If the organization is willing to let participants pursue their own
personal passion on any of the topics discussed or anything as a result of
the experience they are now inspired to work on, the question I often use
is: What do I now have energy and passion to work on?

  - People who want to take action on someting of interest to them post a
topic for action.

  - An action planning guide similar to what others have described is given
to every participant to help them focus on plannning for action,
individually or in small groups. Then there is a reporting to the larger
group that takes different forms depending on the circumstances and needs.

* Surveying first what the group feels are the priorities for the
organization (summary of the process I use):

  - Participants read reports with this question in mind: What are the top
(three or more) priority topics you feel, we as an organization should act
on now?

  - Answers create a collective survey. After a quick compilation of results
of this survey is announced, leaders meet (15 minutes at the most) to
consult and see if they feel the proposed priorities fit with the
organizational vision, are doable and resource wise and confirm that they
will support them.

  - During that time participants identify other related reports to the
priorities and note the report numbers on a sheet attached to each priority
flip chart page.

  - Leaders give feedback on priorities and answer questions of
clarification if any.

  - Then, people choose which of the collective priorities they have passion
to work on - they are action planning knowing clearly they have the full
support of the leadership.

  - The option of action planning on other areas is still offered in
recognition that all the work done so far is important and that someone may
not have passion for the collective priorities still may make positive
contributions.

In my experience, both methods of identifying priorities for action work
best when the method chosen is the right one to meet the group's needs and
preferences.

Diane

Diane Gibeault & Associé.es-Associates
Ottawa, Canada Tel. (613) 744-2638
www.dianegibeault.com

Coming up - À noter

Open Space (OST) English Training: April 25-27, Toronto Canada

Forum ouvert (OST) & WC Formation-français : 27-28, 29-30, Suisse