Open Space -- A Quiet Revolution

Suzanna Stephan suzannastephan at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 20:54:32 PST 2007

Thanks for the greeting. Oh, I'm a frequent visitor to (and fan of) the shadow, a revolving door perhaps, a ride for sure. :)

Michael, your point is definitely understood as to the many open space experiences of our life. I'm noticing a different dynamic however when space is opened or introduced where it's routinely not or it's at least limited (meetings, etc). As much as I coach others to follow the internal regardless of circumstance and personally find it easy in many of the references you made, I experienced a tremendous difference in the context of the group dynamic as is played out in the breakout sessions. I found it fascinating to see what still came up for me when I moved my feet (it's not polite to leave when others are speaking...what will they think of me... blah, blah, blah) and how unfamiliar I still am to living that. Maybe for some it's no big deal but for me it was a powerful (and empowering) experience that I hope to remember when opening space for others. I'm guessing this is what you meant by your comment, Harrison.

Anyway I got it even deeper after this exchange, so thanks. :)

Suzanna

Harrison Owen <hhowen at verizon.net> wrote:                 Welcome from the shadows, Suzanna. Or maybe you are just now coming into the shadow? Anyhow, I think your point is very well taken, particularly as regards the Law of Two Feet. There is no question that people find it strange, especially when they just hear about it – without having the experience of actually moving the two feet.