A Capital Idea

douglas germann 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Fri Feb 9 07:46:56 PST 2007

Ralph, Joelle, Harrison and all--

I love this notion, and it has been evocative for me. This morning it
led me to this thought:

What does it mean to open space? Yes, this is a question we have enjoyed
on this list over and over. We can hope there will never be a definitive
answer.

This morning it took a different turn for me:

Opening space means that whatever happens happens, whoever engages
engages, and when it gathers and disperses is the right time. The true
open space, in Buber's terms, would be the going out into the community
from the meeting to meet others and more, not the gathering itself. This
is how we meet the world and enlarge it. The gathering itself bends in
upon itself and becomes egoic, small-group-self-centered, and closes up.
When we turn to face out from the circle, this is the opening.

What does it mean to us—the largest us we can think of—to open space?

			:- Doug. Germann